12.31.2003

On Reprints and Websites and Plot

I understand Jonathan's sentiment regarding reprints. I have mixed feelings. If the publication's obscure and the editor thinks it's an important story for a wider audience, I'm all for it. If you're trying to give us a feel for an author with interview and certain selections, that's cool, too. But if it stands alone and comes from a major magazine, many of us have large collections and may already have it. Also, for an editor, it's a feather in your cap if you found the needle in the haystack.

Infinity Plus, however, is set up cleverly, giving you the chance to sample writers and get a good feel for who they are.

I liked Jonathan's choices of websites, but I wonder what makes them good choices. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Someone was complaining of a lack of plot on online websites in the Sci Fiction discussion board. I agreed until I realized it was directed at Sci Fiction. I don't recall ever reading something Datlow bought that lacked plot. If a fiction doesn't have plot [i.e. a structure of the work's development], it isn't a story but a character sketch, or a mood piece, or vignette, or prose poem, or whatever. I wonder if this is what separates pretty good from higher quality websites. Thoughts?

Gabe, do you still have that link to Neal Asher's comments concerning lack of plot?

discuss this post at our messageboard