2.04.2004

Bob Sheckley for Grand Master

So I interviewed Bob about a year ago, and since then we've become pretty good friends. He's one of those rare souls who've had success and lived through it relatively unscathed. He's also one hell of a writer, and an important figure in the genre.
I'm editing a short story collection for Bob, and maybe another after that, if things work out. The first is a reprint anthology, with one or two original stories at the end. It's a retrospective of Bob's career as seen by about a dozen of the best writers I know. They've eached picked their favorite Sheckley short stories, and they'll each be writing a short introduction explaining what that story or what Bob himself means to them. Yeah, I know about the Avram Davidson thing, but I only heard of that after I'd thought of the idea for myself, so bite me. Anyways, all this came about out of my desire to put Bob forward for a Grand Master nomination. It's something Bob wants, and I think he deserves it. So I wanted to help.
That's what I'm doing. Here's what you can do. I've set this thing up so that, if you agree with me that Bob should get this thing, you can sign up and maybe we can make enough noise to get the SFWA's attention. Maybe it won't work, maybe it can't be done this way, but I think it's worth a shot, and I hope some of you do too.
Thanks for listening.
discuss this post at our messageboard