2.17.2004

I think there have been some misconceptions around what it is that I, personally, want to accomplish within the field of speculative fiction. Some people assume that I am out to change the genre itself; that somehow, I don't like speculative fiction, and would like to see the field either co-opted or coerced into something that resembles my personal favorite vision.

Quite the contrary.

Rather, my mission, such as it is, is something a lot more complex and a lot deeper than that.

My goal, my aim, is to bring speculative fiction out of the 'ghetto' and into the world-at-large. I want to break down those barriers that we've erected that keep the field from interacting with the rest of the world. I'm interested in ruining the dichotomy that persists between the SFF Reader and the Non-SFF Reader.

I believe that speculative fiction, moreso than any other form of fiction, has social and cultural relevance that is overlooked and denied to non-SFF readers. I believe that, with the proper goading and proper coercing, the field of speculative fiction can bridge the gap between popular entertainment and full-blown 'Important Literature'. In some ways, I am like the Fan of old, the boy that believes that Fans are Slans, that SFF is a superior form of fiction. But where the typical Fannish mindset is exclusionary, my mindset is more inclusive. I don't want to close the field to 'mundanes'; I want to embrace them, to show them exactly why I think SFF is vital, important culture.

There are many angles of attack to pursue in this mission. One way, which I'll be exploring in depth with s1ngularity.net, is via proper marketing; the idea that the "revolution will be marketed". Another method is through the critical study of speculative fiction, which encourages both discerning readers and more rigorous reviewers. Yet another angle is to discover (and encourage) the "whys" behind speculative fiction; why we read it, why we write it, and why others should read it. In essence, we must explore the reasons for speculative fiction, so we may properly describe why others should bother reading it.

So, bloggers and blogreaders… start your engines.

Why is speculative fiction an important, necessary component of our culture? What makes it worth Joe Public's time read an SFF novel?

Speak out.



discuss this post at our messageboard