3.21.2004

So I'm writing a rather large piece on the 'frontiers of speculative fiction', and it's coming along alright. But in the process, I've attempted to dig at the reason for speculative fiction, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I'm not looking for justification for speculative fiction or anything like that. Rather, I'm trying to dig into our NEED for the fantastic, and attempting to define its relevance within society. Why does speculative fiction exist? Why do we continue to publish it?

I realize it's a bit, nebulous question, but sometimes it's the big questions that should be explored. And as I say, I'm interested in your thoughts.

If you could, I'd be thrilled if you would discuss this post at our messageboard, rather than posting enormous comments here.

Thanks for your time!