4.22.2004

Timely Genre News

Stephen Baxter talks about writing SF.

A.S. Byatt is chatting online today at noon, CST, with the Washington Post.

Alan DeNiro has completed "Home of the."

Matt Peckham has two new proto sites (history of SF and critical theory) to get excited about and a third he's been working on to support his book of criticism regarding Lucifer.

Two new interviews with Neal Stephenson at Wired and Salon.

Lamentably, Gardner Dozois has retired:

Well, after almost twenty years of reading manuscripts all day, from the time I get up in the morning until the time I go to sleep at night and the manuscript drops from my nerveless fingers and thumps on the floor, it's time to scale back. I want to go out while I'm still on top of my game, before editing the magazine become a chore rather than a pleasure, and before I become burnt-out and cynical. I'd also like to be able to pursue other projects, including perhaps finding the time to get some of my own writing done.

So I'm stepping down and Sheila Williams will become the new editor of ASIMOV'S, the acquisitions editor, and you should address all future submissions to her. Nobody loves the magazine more than Sheila, or has worked harder for it over the years, and I couldn't leave it in better hands.

I'll still be around to keep an eye on things as a Contributing Editor, providing editorial advice and guidance, running our twice-monthly internet chats on the Sci-Fi Channel site, visiting with you folks here on the Forum page of the ASIMOV'S website, and helping to represent the magazine at the Worldcon and at other conventions and professional functions.

Meanwhile, Sheila will be doing the hard work of taking ASIMOV'S into the future. Please give her--and the magazine--the same support you've always given me....

I'll still be editing THE YEAR'S BEST SCIENCE FICTION, and probably various other anthology projects as well, so I'm not entirely out of the game. (g) And you'll still see me hanging around in the Forum here on a regular basis, probably complaining about all the rotting shoggoth bits in the pool...


Here's a pulp radio play, Crash Morgan, that's a bit over-the-top in its schtick but that's what some people like. It would probably work better as a stage play since some of the dialogue is difficult to make out.

discuss this post at our messageboard